Loreto is located on the right bank of the Musone river, on top of a gentle hill surrounded by olive trees, with wonderful views from the Apennines to the Adriatic. It is a world-famous destination for religious pilgrimage thanks to the presence of the “Casa Santa”. The town’s profile is dominated by the dome and belltower of the Basilica, on top of which is a statue of the Virgin Mary. The town rose around the Holy House, which according to the legend was brought by angels in one night to Italy to save it from destruction when Nazareth was going to be conquered by the Muslims. It is because of this legend that the Madonna di Loreto was proclaimed the patron of aviators by Pope Benedict XV on 24 March 1920.